Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes

I have had a request to post about my twice baked potatoes. These are awesome and easy to make; perfect pairing with a nice grilled steak. I love to make these when I have a big crowd  for dinner, because it's just as easy to make 8 (or more) if you're already making 2. You can make them in advance and store in the refrigerator until it's time to twice bake them and serve...that way you aren't scrambling to make everything at once while you have guests and other things to cook. Another good thing about these potatoes is, nothing has to be exact. You can add any ingredients you like and however much you want. My secret to making these twice baked potatoes taste amazing is adding a little mayonnaise and some creamy Velveeta cheese. YUM!


Ingredients:
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream
- splash of half n half (milk or heavy cream is fine too, whatever you have on hand)
- season salt (Lawry's is the best, and I use this stuff on everything...get some!)
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Velveeta cheese 
- handful of cheddar cheese for topping 

*You can add green onions, bacon bits, etc..anything you want!

Wrap your potatoes individually in aluminum foil. I like to rub a little olive oil, salt and pepper on my potatoes before wrapping in foil. (it makes for a tasty potato skin). Bake at 400' for about 1 hour or until done. (You can test for doneness by gently squeezing the middle of the potato, using a pot holder. If it gives in easily to your touch, it is done.)

Let potatoes cool, before slicing them lengthwise and gently scooping out the potato flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin. (careful not to tear or pierce the shell)

In a bowl mash potato flesh, butter, mayonnaise, sour cream and a little half n half together, mix well. (If seems a little dry add more half n half.) Add seasonings to taste. Add your Velveeta cheese, I used the block  kind and cut small chunks or you could get the shredded. Add as much as you desire. Stir together. Spoon fillings into the potato shells. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350' for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are heated through and cheese is nice and bubbly. 

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried to freeze these? I read another blog and she makes them ahead and freezes them for later. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't but I'm sure they would freeze fine. Probably just bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes..should turn out just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried this to recreate a potato someone made me. This was too greasy with butter and mayo, I didn't have sour cream. I made eight extra taters and am freezing them for later! These were good but next time I'll reduce the butter and mayo.

    ReplyDelete