Friday, September 28, 2012

Spaghetti Bolognese

I love, love LOVE spaghetti! It is probably my number one comfort, favorite meal! I have always made a really good spaghetti sauce that my whole family loves, but it is pretty simple and basic. However, this recipe I want to share is a bit different. This is a rich, bolognese sauce. Over the summer, I was in New York and went to this awesome, authentic restaurant called Il Mulino. I ordered their spaghetti bolognese and it was AMAZING! Much different than my normal spaghetti sauce that I was accustomed to. This dish was rich, creamy and spicy. So, I thought I would give it a try...I googled a couple different recipes and this is what I came up with. Turned out fabulous!!



Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used petite diced, you can use any you prefer)
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red peppers
- garlic salt
- season salt
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup half n half, divided
- 2 tbsp beef base with 1 cup water (or you can use beef broth)


Heat some olive oil in a large skillet or pot and saute celery, onions and garlic until softened. Add meat and saute until no longer pink, drain fat.
Add 1/2 cup half n half and simmer until it has evaporated. (this tenderizes the meat) Add 1/2 cup white wine and simmer until evaporated. Add italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, garlic salt, season salt, sugar and black pepper (I don't measure, I just put a good amount in and taste, add as much as you like). Add diced and crushed tomatoes. Add beef base and water and simmer on low heat (uncovered) for at least 2 hours. (the longer the better!) Add remaining 1/2 cup half n half, stir together and simmer another 10 minutes or so. (the extra half n half is optional, it just makes for a richer sauce.) 

Serve over noodles (I prefer thin spaghetti or angel) and some warm, crusty bread.  It was sooo yummy!! This is the ultimate comfort food for me! :) ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment