Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Eggplant Au Gratin


Ohh my gosh! This eggplant was simply amazing! I tried a new version of an eggplant parmesan last night and I am so excited and pleased with the way it turned out, I had to post as soon as possible. This is a lighter version that I thought I would try...especially after eating such a heavy meal the night before for Drew's birthday celebration. (my sweet husband turned 27...wow we are getting old!) The food was absolutely fabulous, but lots of it and definitely not very healthy. Ok back to my eggplant...This recipe does not require any flour, egg wash or bread crumbs. It is just fresh eggplant and a couple of other simple ingredients. (which are not pictured, I seriously just threw this recipe together, not even thinking about taking pictures or posting about it.) BUT, it was seriously THAT awesome I have to tell yall about it! I actually want some right now just typing about it...hmm maybe that's what I am having for breakfast. :)


Ingredients:
- 1 medium or large eggplant
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- season salt
- Ragu spaghetti sauce (or any jar sauce of your preference) I happen to LOVE Ragu. Pictured below is my favorite. It's robusto with sauteed onion and garlic. 


Slice the eggplant about 1/4 inch thick. Lay out on some paper towels, sprinkle with salt, pepper and season salt on both sides. Let the eggplant sit there and release some of its moisture about 20 or so minutes.

Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add some olive oil.
Saute eggplant slices, about 4 to 5 slices at a time or however many can fit comfortably in your skillet. Turning over once, until you get a nice golden brown color. About 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
Add more olive oil as needed. My eggplant soaked it up pretty quick, so I had to add more olive oil a few times, to keep the skillet from getting too dry.

Spread a thin layer (about 4 or 5 spoonfuls) of your spaghetti sauce in a casserole or baking dish. 
Lay the eggplant down in an even layer, cover with some sauce and mozzarella cheese. Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese. 

Bake in a preheated oven at 375' uncovered until cheese is melted, bubbly and golden, about 30 minutes. 

I served this over some Rotini pasta and a side tossed salad. SO delicious! 
P.S. I did eat the leftovers for breakfast, while typing this post :) YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment