Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ma's roast beef

This is Ma's (my grandmother) amazing roast beef recipe. My mom taught it to me years ago and it has become one of my family's favorite dishes. I love making this on a Sunday and inviting all my family over for dinner; it cooks all afternoon and the house fills with its delicious aroma. I almost always serve this roast beef with white rice, butter beans (or young sweet peas) and rolls. My favorite part is the warm, buttered rolls sopped up by the mushroom gravy...yum!



Ingredients: 
- chuck roast
- 1 bag of whole carrots, cut in 2 inch chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 to 8 red potatoes cut into 4 chunks
- 2 small cans Campbell's cream of mushroom soup 
- garlic salt
- season salt
- pepper
- flour, for dredging
- heavy duty aluminum foil

Heat a skillet to medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Season the chuck roast with garlic salt, season salt and pepper, liberally on both sides. Dredge with flour.
Add the roast to the heated skillet. Sear on both sides about 5 minutes til you get a golden brown crust. This caramelizes the meat and gives it great flavor!
You need a baking pan with sides. Get your heavy duty foil, you need a large piece, big enough to line your pan and cover the roast.  (probably bigger than you think...later on you will need to crimp the foil together and make what I like to call a tent, to keep the steam in.)
Transfer the roast onto the foil lined pan. 
Season the veggies with some garlic salt, season salt, pepper and dust with a little flour.
Add a little more oil to the skillet if needed.
Add the veggies and sauté for about 5 minutes to give them a little caramelization too.
Put the veggies in the pan surrounding the roast. 
Now you need to add both cans of soup, slather on top of the roast.
Here comes the crimping part of the foil...ya know to make your tent.
Meet the 2 top ends of your foil together, crimp it tight and fold twice. Then crimp your sides of the foil together and fold tightly. There's your tent. It should look something like this below.


Put the roast into a preheated oven at 325' and cook for 4 hours.
Bring the family together, eat and ENJOY! :)




1 comment:

  1. Different than the version my Mom passed to me, and def want to try your version. And I love the blog pics too! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete